Monday, August 13, 2007

Music Lesson #9

They say that for security reasons you should not write a weblog when:

a. You've been out drinking by yourself on a Friday at Mag:Net watching poorly acted but well-meaning student films about anomie in the call-center setting;

b. And you then went on to 70s Bistro to catch The Jerks (which should get an award from some award-giving body of some sort) but you had to leave because they were taking so long to get on stage;

c. And you then drove home to finish a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and watch 2 consecutive seasons of Peep Show, the greatest sitcom ever made. Ever;

d. And then, finding the Sauvignon Blanc empty, you take a crack at the Stoli and drink until you go temporarily blind and ask yourself, loudly, where did all the time go?

So you should not create blog posts if you had done all the above-mentioned things in series.

Which brings me to my song titled "Sheila Doesn't Live Here Anymore."

Here is my formula for new wave songwriting: Sadness about young love slipping away/ belief that young love is all-powerful + catchy riff + depictions of infrastructure (i.e. houses, buildings, monuments) = haunting new wave lyrics.

This song was written many years after a nasty break-up. I can't seem to write love songs about people I have not broken up with but there you go.

About songwriting though, the lesson I guess is that pick up what you can about any bad experience, throw out the garbage, and try to come out with something that can be universally understood. And nothing is an universally understood as heartache. And boredom and intoxication on alcohol.

Sheila Doesn't Live Here Anymore

I walk down past the street where you used to live
Nothing is the same as how I remember it
Whatever happened to the chapel, the grotto, the small grocery
Your body naked in the water, the color of my memory

The phone booth where I called to check
If you were alone
Standing there behind the door
Your clothes left on the bathroom floor

But Sheila doesn't live here anymore
Sheila doesn't live here anymore

I'm counting all my days, never to be free
What's the point in hiding, you'd always know where I'd be
Our senior year you told me of your greatest fear
You'd end up like your mother
But I'm not your father

There's a place for you, you said,
Waiting to be found
Your friends all thought you weren't around,
Noone knew that you'd left town

But Sheila doesn't live here anymore
Sheila doesn't live here anymore

I walk down past the street where you used to live
Nothing is the same as how I remember it
And where there used to be a chapel, a grotto
Stands a shiny shopping mall
The phantom breeze, the disappeared trees
I remember them all oh

But Sheila doesn't live here anymore
Sheila doesn't live here anymore

People change but I won't change I still love you
And people change but I won't change I still love you
Yeah people change but I don't change I really love you
And people change but I won't change I love you

Love you

Love you.

Seriously, you should go hear our band, Los Chupacabras, go at it. Mikael, Joel and Carl really do justice to all the new wave "weight" of the song. I couldn't have thought of a better arrangement myself. Await our album!

P.S. This entry has been edited the morning after I had written it intoxicated on various liquors and the sweet milk of my own tears. Inappropriate drunken rantings originally in the entry have been neutralized.

No comments: